Monday 7 March 2016

DJ Nana reveals how her dreams of becoming a DJ was almost shattered by DJ Jimmy Jatt who eventually became her mentor.

In a recent interview with Reloaded Magazine, Dj Nana explains how she almost got ruined and frustrated trying to get through to Jimmy Jatt and when she eventually did, he stopped picking her calls until one day...

  

I always wanted to be taught by DJ Jimmy Jatt from the very beginning but he was always very busy. I reached out to my friend, S.Dot and told him about my plight and wanting DJ Jimmy Jatt’s guidance. He gave me his number which I called. There was this show at The Place where he was supposed to play, I attended but my shyness wouldn't let me go up to meet with the legendary DJJJ.


Later that night, Mr. Dipo Abdul of Kiss Events walked up to me and said, “I have been seeing you a lot here. What do you do”? I told him I was working on becoming a DJ and also wanted to meet Jimmy Jatt and he promised to introduce us. I got to the event and Mr. Abdul's number was off, so I finally summoned up courage, walked up to him, introduced myself and he said, “Finally! A face to the name everyone has been telling me about”

He asked me to call him the following day, which I did - at 7am. He was like, “Nana, I’m not a morning person. I sleep in the mornings, so call me tomorrow”. The next day I called at 9am. He was like, “you know what, just come to Lekki”. That was when he found out I could mix already but, when I learned, I did with CDs. At the time DJJJ offered to teach, laptops were in vogue so it was like learning all over again. 

Later on, he wasn't picking my calls. When there was a gig, DJJJ would just see me there and say, “Ah, you are here”. This went on for about a year but I didn’t give up. Then one day, I got a call. Jimmy Jatt? Calling me? I stared at it for a while before I finally picked up. He asked, “Are you coming over today”? I didn't because I had no money to transport myself to wherever he was. He then asked if I could make it on Sunday which I did. It was the MTN Brandy event and he made me open for him. 


When asked further if she intends to switch along the line, here was her response... 

"I do not intend to switch. If I do, I am retiring. This is because I don't know any other thing that could possibly interest me, fill me with so much passion as DJ-ing does for me".
 

No comments:

Post a Comment