Sunday 18 October 2015

Fake baby helps heal heartbroken teen's miscarriage

18 year old Natalie and Lexi are as close as you’d expect any mother and daughter to be. Natalie Harcourt wakes baby Lexi at 9am every day and sits her in front of the TV to watch CBeebies.
After breakfast she cuddles the mite, dresses her and they go for a stroll in the park to feed the ducks, or visit friends.
But their relationship is different and special because Lexi is a “reborn” baby doll who has transformed Natalie’s life, helping her to cope with the trauma of miscarriage.
Natalie was 16 when she lost a child conceived with her then boyfriend.
Friends bought £300 silicone doll Lexi to ease the teen’s pain as she struggled with the loss of her natural baby. Now, when her pals are out clubbing, Natalie stays home and cares for Lexi.
And she loves to look after her, splashing out hundreds of pounds on a cot, a baby bouncer, a pram, toys and clothes.
She has already spent £100 on Christmas presents.
Natalie relates to Lexi as if she were a real baby and is readying herself for the day she has natural children of her own.
The teenager is so determined to have a “real” experience of parenting, she gives herself sleepless nights by setting her alarm to go off every two hours so she can check on Lexi, in a Moses basket by her bed.
Natalie, who studied childcare at college, even has a baby monitor to keep an eye on Lexi from another room.
Natalie said:
“I was ­absolutely heartbroken when I lost my baby. I’ll never forget the baby I have lost, but Lexi is a great comfort to me. “I treat her just like a real baby – she is my world and I take her everywhere. “I know people might think it’s a bit strange that I’m just 18 and sitting indoors with my reborn doll while my mates are out clubbing on a Saturday night.
“But at least I’m not spending on drugs or alcohol. I think I’m quite sensible. “I’m desperate to have a real baby one day – hopefully a girl so her and Lexi can share clothes. I will take them out in a double buggy together.“I think looking after Lexi is preparing me well for being a real mum. It’s just motherly instinct that I set the alarm so I can check on her. A real baby will just be noisier and messier.”
Natalie, puts her desire to be a mother so young down to her difficult upbringing.
She explained:
“I didn’t have a good relationship with my parents and was in foster care from the time I was 14.
“So I guess I have always longed to be a mum so I can give a child something I never had. I love babies and children and think I have a lot to give as a mother.”
Natalie suffered heartbreak when she had a miscarriage aged just 16 in October 2013 after falling pregnant by accident.
The teen, who has 11 GCSEs, recalled:
“I’d only been with my boyfriend a few weeks and I was shocked when I discovered I was pregnant because I was on the pill. “But despite not being planned and me being very young the baby was very much wanted. I split with my boyfriend when I discovered I was pregnant but I was so excited at the thought of being a mum.
Unemployed Natalie, who lives alone in a one-bed flat and claims sickness benefits due to depression, said: “I was thrilled. I had researched reborns online and they intrigued me.
“I’d read how they helped women get over losing babies. I had started to really want one myself but wouldn’t have been able to afford it.
“When I first pulled Lexi out of the box and saw her I felt like I was bonding with a real baby. I couldn’t stop holding her, I knew I had to take care of her. 

Mirror Online

No comments:

Post a Comment